Interesting in Nice for tourists
France has always attracted a large number of tourists. In this country there are many amazing places that bring delight and an unforgettable experience. One of the popular cities to visit is Nice.
During their stay in the French resort, travelers can carry out a rich program of excursions. Historical and architectural, natural and cultural attractions will create an individual travel plan.
Architectural and historical sites
Walking in Nice, travelers should pay attention to the following interesting sights:
- The Old Town is a complex of narrow streets located near the embankment. There are many buildings built in the XVI – XVII centuries, each of which is interesting for its architecture: beautiful churches, a medieval fort, clock towers. Noteworthy is the building of the Marine Arsenal with a gallery and a marble cross, installed in honor of the conclusion of peace between Spain and France in the 16th century;
- Notre Dame de Nis is a beautiful basilica, which was built in 1868. The building has two square towers. Their height reaches 65 m. The building in the neo-Gothic style is located at 37 Bis Avenue Jean Médecin. You can take the T1 tram to the Jean Médecin stop or take buses 4, 17, 30 to Notre Dame. The basilica is open for visitors every day from 8.30 to 12.00 and from 14.00 to 19.00;
- St. Nicholas Cathedral is an Orthodox church, founded in 1903. This building is considered one of the largest Orthodox cathedrals in Western Europe. The facades of the building are decorated with tiles. There is a tourist attraction on Avenue Nicolas II, boulevard du Tzarewitch. By buses No. 17, 27, 64, 75, 75D, A, L, M, P, S you need to get to the Tzarewitch stop;
- Grand Hotel Negresco, opened in 1913, is one of the oldest and most pompous on the Cote d’Azur. Many famous personalities stayed here: Marlene Dietrich, Coco Chanel, Ernest Hemingway. The building has a rounded tower with a pink dome, and underneath inside is a four-meter chandelier created at the Baccarat glass factory. The hotel has 121 rooms and 24 apartments. It is located at 37 Promenade des Anglais;
- Place Massena is known as one of the most beautiful places in the city. Buildings were erected throughout the 19th century. The square is named after the French commander. Here is the composition “Conversation in Nice”: figures made of rubber, changing their color, symbolize seven continents. A spectacular object is the fountain “Sun”, which is decorated with a statue of Apollo, reaching a height of 7 m;
- Fort Alban is a fortress, erected in 1560 as a defensive structure. It is located near the coast in the park of Mont Boron. Some parts of the building are well preserved. Tourists can admire the historic site from the inside and outside. The building is located on a hill with a beautiful view of the Bay of Angels;
- The monument to the fallen during World War I is known as one of the most significant in size in France. The war memorial is made in the form of a dome with columns placed under the arch. The monument was erected in 1928. You can see it from the embankment of Nice;
- St. Joan of Arc Arc Catholic Church is one of Nice’s most beautiful religious sites. The snow-white building was built in 1934 from reinforced concrete in the Art Deco style. For lack of grace, local residents compare the church with “meringues.” Address: 86 Avenue Saint-Lambert;
- Nice Observatory can be visited on the top of Mont Gros Hill. The building was built in 1878. The main dome was designed by Gustave Eiffel – the creator of the famous Parisian tower. Now the observatory is popular with tourists due to its architecture, and here you can see the stars.
Museums and theaters in Nice
Nice has many museums with unique exhibits and theaters with a diverse repertoire. Travelers should pay attention to the following places:
- Museum of Fine Arts at 33 Avenue des Baumettes. The building was built in the XVII century. Artworks are spread over two floors. Among the exhibits are the works of French painters of the 17th century, as well as works by masters of the 20th century, for example, Pierre Bonnard and Luc-Olivier Merson. Collections of glass and ceramics complement the exposition;
- The Henri Matisse Museum was opened in 1963. In 18 rooms there are both little-known and famous masterpieces of the French artist. Institutional address: 164, Avenue de Arenas de Cimiez.
- The Marc Chagall Museum, founded in 1973, presents to the attention of visitors the works of a famous artist. The main exposition is called the Bible Message of Marc Chagall. The paintings in the halls were placed by the artist himself, which allows a better understanding of the meaning of the creations. In addition to paintings, you can see a large mosaic panel and stained glass windows on biblical themes.
- The opera house is one of the popular venues for cultural events in Nice. The establishment is located at 4–6 rue Saint François de Paule. Here, performances are held for viewers of different ages.
Natural attractions and city parks
Nice is famous for its beaches and picturesque surroundings:
Phoenix Park is located in the western part of the city at 405 Promenade des Anglais. Its area is 7 hectares. This place is a complex of fountains, flower beds, alleys and sculptural structures. Here is the Green Diamond greenhouse, which is considered one of the largest in Europe. The park has a lake, as well as the Museum of Asian Arts. Easy to get here by buses No. 9, 10 (Arena stop). The park can be visited daily from 9.30 to 20.00 (from October to April from 9.30 to 17.00). Ticket price is 3 euros;
Phoenix Park is famous for its rich flora and fauna.
Castle Hill is a hill located in the old part of Nice. There are several viewing platforms with a beautiful view of the city and its surroundings. In the XII century, there was a fortress on this site, which is why the mountain was called Zamkova. You can climb here by the stairs that start from the Suisse, or along a winding hiking trail;
Castle Hill – one of the most picturesque places in Nice
The most famous place for walking in Nice is the Promenade des Anglais. Along it there are many large hotels, and cafes and restaurants offer traditional cuisine. There are bike paths for comfortable walks.
Nice Promenade des Anglais is convenient for walks and popular with tourists and locals
Tours and holidays at different times of the year
The summer in Nice is very lively, as many travelers seek here at this time of year. Rich vegetation, warm sea water with a temperature of about +26 ° C, many cozy restaurants with open terraces, a wide selection of entertainment will provide an excellent vacation.
Particularly noteworthy at this time of year is Kur Salleyya Street. It is known for its large market, where you can buy the freshest fruits, souvenirs and much more. The street is a pedestrian alley of the Old Town. Here are some interesting sights. Tourists should take a look, for example, at the chapel of Mercy, built in 1736 in the Baroque style. You can get here by T32 bus to the Cours Saleya stop.
In the middle and end of autumn, when the average air temperature is around +16 ° C, there are few tourists in Nice. Swimming in the sea is no longer possible because of the cool water, but this will not prevent vacationers from getting acquainted with the culture of the city. A visit to the Museum of Modern Art, founded in 1990, can be a good option for an interesting excursion. The authors of the building project were architects I. Bayar and A. Vidal. Here are the works of modern masters. There is a garden on the roof, and two buildings are interconnected by glass corridors. The museum is located on Avenue de Fabron and is open from 10.00 to 18.00, closed on Monday.
In winter, the air temperature in Nice is positive, so long excursions will be comfortable.
Snow is very rare here, but if this happens, travelers can admire the snow-covered palm trees. If the holiday falls on New Year’s holidays, then this is a great opportunity to see a bright and unusual fireworks on the Promenade des Anglais. Massena Square hosts a Christmas market where you can buy sweets and souvenirs. Mimosa blooms in March and strawberries in April, so tourists can not only explore the sights, but also try fresh berries at local cafes. In May, beaches are filled with vacationers. When walking around the city, you should look at the main sights of Nice, including the port of Limpia, where cruise ships moor and have a beautiful view of the sea.
Restaurants in Nice
In Nice you can find many interesting entertainments, appreciate local attractions and, of course, the color of culture. Gourmets here will also not be bored – a huge number of restaurants and cafes will welcome guests of the city, offering delicious dishes.
Christian Plumail. This restaurant is considered one of the most respected in the city.
Seafood lovers will be able to appreciate the menu of the institution. Also, this place will become relevant for connoisseurs of real Italian pizza, cooked according to the signature recipe.
Texas City. This restaurant is most often visited by lovers of American food. It serves excellent sandwiches, steaks, pork roast, turkey and other dishes.
Le Bar du Coin. If you want to appreciate the local cuisine, this restaurant will be exactly what you need. High-quality service, beautiful interior and rich menu will ensure a pleasant stay for each guest.
Le 22 Septembre. The restaurant will be a good place for those who care about the financial side of the trip. Here is a huge selection of all kinds of dishes at the most affordable prices.
L’lle de Boularo. If you want to not only enjoy your meal, but also have fun, the L’lle de Boularo restaurant is an excellent choice. Here you can eat and have fun. A spacious dance floor, modern music, tasting of specialties and good service will surely please vacationers.
Night life in Nice
In Nice, nightlife lovers will not be bored either. There are a huge number of interesting entertainment venues. In the area of Old Nice, the bulk of the prestigious nightclubs is concentrated. The clubs have strict face control, so prepare in advance for visiting such establishments.
L’Ambassade. This club is most popular among young people. A variety of cultural programs, attractive interior and reasonable prices will surely please tourists.
Le Privilege. This place has a cozy and relaxed atmosphere. If you want to spend a pleasant romantic evening, in this club you can find a nook for a pleasant time. The interior of the club is presented in the form of a tropical island with exotic plants and animal skins.
Also in Nice there are many cafes and bars offering not only pleasant prices for food and drinks, but also interesting cultural programs. The main part of the bars is located on the territory of hotels.
Purchases and Shopping in Nice
Shopping lovers can find the best shops for shopping here. Rue de France is Nice’s main shopping street. There are many boutiques, salons and souvenir shops with a huge assortment for every taste. Be sure to visit the shopping center in the New Gallery, where you can find almost everything. Products are best purchased at Carrefour supermarkets.
This network offers a wide range and has an acceptable pricing policy. Souvenir products, antiques, clothes and sweets are best bought at the Cours Saleya market. In the network of degriffes stores you can profitably buy clothes of famous brands. Due to the fact that the goods presented here are not sold in large shopping centers, stores significantly reduce the cost of clothing.
Nice has its own rules and features. Every tourist should understand the main points that will simplify communication with the residents of the city and staff.
Tipping is optional. The main account includes a service charge of 15% of the order. If you liked the work of the waiter, you can leave a cash reward in an arbitrary equivalent.
The choice of attire for going to nightclubs, bars and restaurants should be carried out with great care. Most establishments have strict controls on their appearance, so do not use outfits that are too frank.
In restaurants do not always set the signs “table ordered.” Therefore, it is not recommended to take the first free table. In most reputable establishments, the waiter escorts guests and offers successful free places.
When walking around the city in crowded places, it is worthwhile to carefully monitor your belongings. Despite the low crime rate, there are still pickpockets that can adversely affect the trip. It is also worth paying attention to walks on the sidewalks. The main number of negative situations occurs due to the activity of thieves on motorbikes, cleverly tightening their handbags without stopping movement.
Most locals are very positive about tourists who try to speak French. Before traveling, learn a few basic phrases that will help you get a more loyal attitude and additional benefits from negotiations.
Shopping in the market is best done in the morning. Most traders go to work earlier and close by lunchtime. Therefore, if you want to buy unusual things at the best prices. Enter the shopping trip in the first paragraphs of your schedule.
If in Nice you met the French, do not refuse them an invitation to visit. Most residents will react to this answer with resentment. A visit is usually made with modest gifts in the form of flowers or a bottle of wine.
Nice always has a positive attitude towards city guests. Attendants and locals can tell you the way to the right place or explain the necessary questions. This city has always attracted travelers with a huge number of attractions, vibrant life and beautiful views. Travel to Nice is always remembered by tourists for many years with pleasant emotions.
Transport in Nice
The cost of a ticket for one trip is € 1.50. The ticket is valid on all Nice bus routes in the NCA Limits, even if you ride the intercity bus: 100, 200, 400, 500, 112, 116, 217, 510, 701A, 701B, 730.
The ticket must be composted every time you enter the transport, even if you have already composted it earlier. After composting, you can ride a ticket for 74 minutes and make at least as many transfers on a tram or bus. But you cannot return to the point of departure on the same ticket. If you have not paid for the fare and violated the rules of travel, a large fine will await you in transport.
In addition to the usual ticket for 1 trip, there are the following types of tickets:
- 10-way ticket (Multi 10): € 10
- 1 Day Pass: € 5
- 1-week pass (7 day pass): € 15
- Airport bus ticket (Titre Aéro 1 way lines 98 and 99): € 6
- 1 month pass: € 40
Where to buy tickets
Tickets for travel can be bought at points of sale of tickets and in 47 machines at tram stops where you can buy a ticket at any time of the day. In machines you can pay with a trifle or by credit card. In addition, a ticket for one trip can be bought from the bus driver.
The Nice Tram or Nice Tram currently consists of just 1 line. The length of the line is 9.2 km and consists of 22 stations. Tram schedule: every day from 4.25 to 1.35. The intervals of the tram are from 3 to 7 minutes. On the map below, you see the Nice tram scheme, it shows stops where you can make transfers to certain buses, the station and bus stops from the airport are indicated.
More than 130 daily bus routes connect 49 cities of the Cote d’Azur with Nice. In addition to daytime buses, nighttime buses run at night. Daytime routes run from 5-6 a.m. to 8 p.m., 9 p.m. at intervals of 5-30 minutes. There are much less night flights
If you want to get on the bus, you need to signal the driver with a raised hand. If you are traveling by bus, to stop at the bus stop you need to press a button, the Arret Demande panel will light up and the driver will drop you off.
All Night routes depart from the JC Bermond stop, which is located opposite the Aston Hotel.
Below on the map you see all the bus routes of Nice and the suburbs, including bus routes to the airport.
On the public transport diagram below are presented only the most popular buses in Nice. Also, there are large transport hubs where you can change trains, trams and stops where the main attractions of the city are located.
Hotels in Nice
Pay attention to the area near the Opéra – Vieille Ville tram stop and the promenade, it is here that the best hotels of the city with good ratings are concentrated: Best Western Plus Hôtel Massena Nice, Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Méditerranée, Hotel *** Vacances Bleues Le Royal Promenade des Anglais and other hotels in Nice.
The number of buses that travel from Nice to neighboring cities: bus number 100 goes to Menton via Monaco (Monte Carlo Casino), bus number 200 goes to Cannes via Antibes, bus number 500 to the city of Grasse.
Taxis in Nice
Taxis are included in the transport system of Nice. If you want to use taxi services, you should consider that it is best to take a taxi in special parking lots. Taxi in France is very expensive, the following surcharges may be added to the cost of the trip: extra charge for night travel, extra for baggage, airport tax, extra for big baggage, boarding fees, standing in a traffic jam, extra for travel during snow and other surcharges . These payments are not low and range from 1 to 7 Euros! Thus, if you get stuck in traffic, you have luggage, and it is snowing outside, all this can cost you a lot.
When traveling by taxi, be vigilant, tourists in France are periodically deceived, may take a long route, turn on an unprofitable wrong fare, go through traffic jams (a tidy amount may run up at this time), or specially bring them to the wrong destination. French taxi drivers do not want to understand English and other languages, and when they bring them to the wrong place, they may pretend that you said the wrong address.